Étapes de cuisson
Pulse onion, carrots, celery and garlic in food processor until very finely diced (or chop by hand).
Sauté the mixture in olive oil over a medium high heat in a large pan. When starting to brown, add sausage meat, then beef, ensuring both are well cooked through. Add tomato paste and stir to combine. Add in red wine and bring to boil, then add Italian herbs.
Pure the tinned tomatoes in food processor and add to the pan. Add the strained tomatoes/passata. Bring to a boil, then simmer gently for up to 4 hours. Add seasoning to taste.
Meanwhile, cook pasta according to package directions.
Serve sugo on top of cooked Catelli Smart® Penne or pasta of choice (spaghetti also works really well with the sugo).
- Additional vegetables can be added in at the beginning, such as peppers and mushrooms
- Any type of pork meat works well in this recipe, including bacon
- The meat can be left out for a meat-free version (We recommend adding mushrooms for a good texture)
- Leave out the red wine if you don’t want it
- Experiment with seasonings to your taste. Fresh basil added at the end would be great.
- 2 PKGS (750 G) Catelli Smart® Penne
- Onion 1
- Medium sized carrots 2-3
- Celery stalks 3
- Cloves of garlic (or to taste) 4
- Olive oil 1 tbsp
- Italian sausage meat 300 g
- Lean ground beef 400 g
- Tomato paste ½ small can
- Red wine 200 mL
- Dried Italian herbs (or to taste) 1 tbsp
- Fire roasted tomatoes (or sub regular tinned tomatoes) 1 can
- Salt and pepper to taste