This recipe doubles easily to make a family-sized entrée.
Omit or halve the hot pepper flakes for a multipurpose pasta sauce. Add grilled chicken, fish or shrimp to increase the protein content of this meal.
For even more heat in the sauce, add a pinch of cayenne pepper.
Étapes de cuisson
Cook the penne according to package directions. Drain well and hold warm.
Meanwhile, heat the oil and hot pepper flakes in a medium, nonstick skillet set over medium heat for 2 minutes. Add the onion, thyme and garlic. Cook for 5 minutes or until softened. Add the wine and bring to a boil. Simmer for 2 minutes or until the wine is reduced by half.
Add the tomatoes and continue to simmer for 15 minutes or until slightly reduced and thickened. Stir in sugar, salt and pepper; taste and adjust seasonings if necessary. Toss hot penne with sauce to serve.
- CATELLI® HEALTHY HARVEST® Whole Wheat Penne Rigate 1 1/2 cups (375 ml)
- extra virgin olive oil 2 tbsp (30 ml)
- dried red pepper flakes 1 tsp (5 ml)
- finely chopped onion 1/2 cup (125 ml)
- dried thyme leaves 1/2 tsp (2 ml)
- cloves garlic, minced 4
- white wine 1/4 cup (50 ml)
- no added salt canned, diced tomatoes 14 oz (398 ml)
- granulated sugar 1/2 tsp (2 ml)
- each salt and pepper (approx.) 1/4 tsp (1 ml)