Preheat oven to 400˚F (200˚C). Cook macaroni according to package directions; drain, reserving 1/4 cup (60 mL) boiled pasta water.
Meanwhile, melt 2 tbsp (30 mL) butter in large skillet set over medium heat; cook garlic, for about 1 minute or until fragrant.
Stir in flour; cook for 1 to 2 minutes or until smooth. Slowly whisk in milk. Bring to a boil, whisking constantly. Reduce heat to medium-low; simmer for 8 to 10 minutes or until mixture is slightly thickened. Stir in 1/4 tsp (1 mL) of both salt and pepper. Remove from heat. Stir in half of the cheese until melted.
4Meanwhile, melt remaining butter in separate skillet set over medium heat; cook leeks, and remaining salt and pepper for 3 to 5 minutes or until slightly softened.
Stir together chicken and barbecue sauce. Stir macaroni into cheese sauce until well coated; fold in chicken mixture and leeks. If sauce is too thick, stir in enough of the reserved boiled pasta water for desired consistency.
Transfer to a greased 13- x 9-inch (3.5 L) baking dish. Sprinkle with remaining cheese. Bake for 15 to 20 minutes or until golden and bubbly. Sprinkle with chives. Let cool for 10 minutes before serving.
• For an easier and quicker preparation, use rotisserie cooked chicken.
• Use your favourite barbecue sauce to suit your taste: Try classic style, smoky or spicy.
- Catelli Smart® Macaroni 1 pkg (375 g)
- Armstrong® White Old Cheddar Cheese or Yellow Old Cheddar Cheese, shredded and divided 450 g
- Butter, divided 1/4 cup (60 mL)
- Garlic cloves, minced 3
- All-purpose flour 2 tbsp (30 mL)
- 2% milk 2 1/2 cups (625 mL)
- Salt and pepper, divided 1/2 tsp (2 mL)
- Leeks, sliced (white and light green parts only) 3
- Cooked chicken, shredded 2 cups (500 mL)
- Barbecue sauce 1/2 cup (125 mL)
- Fresh chives, finely chopped 2 tbsp (30 mL)