For an alcohol-free version with a delicious ragu-style sauce, substitute tomato juice for the red wine and omit the brandy.
- 1 pkg (375 g)CATELLI SMARTÂ® PENNE RIGATE
- 1 1/2 lb (750 g) cubed beef tenderloin tips
- 1 1/2 tsp (7 mL) each salt and pepper
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) vegetable oil, divided
- 3/4 cup (175 mL) each chopped onion and bacon
- 2 minced garlic cloves
- 1/4 cup (50 mL) all-purpose flour
- 4 cups (1 L) coarsely chopped wild mushrooms such as shiitake, oyster, and cremini
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) dried thyme leaves
- 3 cups (750 mL) beef broth
- 1 1/2 cups (375 mL) red wine
- 1/3 cup (75 mL) tomato paste
- 3 tbsp (45 mL) butter
- 3 tbsp (45 mL) brandy (optional)
- To taste shredded Parmesan cheese
- To taste chopped fresh parsley
Toss the beef with the salt and pepper. Heat half of the oil in a Dutch oven set over high heat.
Add the beef to the pot in a single layer; brown in batches, turning as needed. Remove from the pan and reserve.
Reduce the heat to medium. Add the remaining oil to the pan. Add the onion, bacon and garlic; cook, stirring, until lightly browned. Add the mushrooms, and thyme. Cook, stirring, for 5 minutes or until softened. Sprinkle flour over the bacon and vegetables; stir to coat and cook for 1 minute.
Stir the broth with the wine and tomato paste. Gradually pour the broth mixture into the pan; stir constantly and scrape up any cooked on brown bits. Bring to a boil and cook for 15 to 20 minutes or until mixture is reduced by half.
Meanwhile, prepare the penne according to package directions.
Stir the browned beef, brandy (if using) and butter into the sauce. Cook, stirring, for 2 minutes. Toss with the cooked pasta. Sprinkle with parsley and Parmesan cheese.