Preheat oven to 400˚F (200˚C). Cook orzo according to package directions, adding broccoli in the last 4 minutes of cooking. Drain, reserving 1/2 cup (125 mL) cooking liquid.
Meanwhile, melt 1/4 cup (60 mL) butter in a large high-sided skillet; cook onion for 2 to 3 minutes or until softened. Sprinkle flour over top; cook, stirring, for 2 to 3 minutes or until smooth.
Slowly whisk in milk; bring to boil, whisking constantly. Reduce heat to medium-low; cook, stirring constantly, for about 10 minutes or until thickened slightly. Stir in mustard, paprika, salt, pepper and nutmeg. Remove from heat.
Stir in 2 cups (500 mL) Cheddar, and Parmesan until cheese melts. Stir in pasta and cooking liquid.
Transfer to prepared baking dish; sprinkle with remaining Cheddar. In small skillet, melt remaining butter; toss with panko. Sprinkle over pasta.
Bake for 15 to 20 minutes or until golden and bubbly. Let stand for 10 minutes. Sprinkle with chives.
- 1 pkg (454 g) Catelli Orzo Pasta
- small broccoli florets 4 cups (1 L)
- butter, divided 1/3 cup (75 mL)
- onion, diced 1
- all-purpose flour 1/3 cup (75 mL)
- milk 4 cups (1 L)
- Dijon mustard 1 tbsp (15 mL)
- paprika 1/2 tsp (2 mL)
- each salt and pepper 1/2 tsp (2 mL)
- ground nutmeg 1/4 tsp (1 mL)
- shredded aged Cheddar cheese, divided 2 1/2 cups (625 mL)
- grated Parmesan cheese 1/3 cup (75 mL)
- panko bread crumbs 1/4 cup (60 mL)
- chopped chives 2 tbsp (30 mL)