Heat 2 tbsp (30 mL) of olive oil in a large pot or Dutch oven over medium heat.
Add onions and garlic. Continue to cook until softened.
Add herbs and spices. Continue to cook for another minute.
Optional: Use red wine to deglaze pan.
Add honey, stock, tomatoes and lentils.
Raise heat to medium-high and bring to a boil.
Cover large pot, lower heat to medium-low and allow sauce to simmer for 25 minutes. Stir occasionally.
Cook pasta according to package directions. Drain and add to mixture.
Sprinkle fresh basil or parsley for garnish.
- 1 pkg. (300 g)Catelli SuperGreens™ spaghetti
- olive oil 2 tbsp (30 mL)
- onion, minced 1
- cloves garlic, minced 2
- dried oregano 1/2 tsp (3 mL)
- dried basil 1/2 tsp (3 mL)
- dried thyme 1/4 tsp (1 mL)
- red chili flakes 1/4 tsp (1 mL)
- salt 1/2 tsp (3 mL)
- red wine (optional) 1/4 cup (60 mL)
- honey 2 tsp (10 mL)
- sodium-free chicken stock 2 cups (500 mL)
- canned diced tomato (not drained) 28 oz (790 g)
- red lentils, rinsed 1 cup (250 mL)
- fresh basil or parsley for garnish
- black pepper to taste