Preheat oven to 350ºF (180ºC). Cook lasagne noodles according to package directions.
Heat oil in large high-sided skillet or large saucepan set over medium heat; cook beef for 3 to 5 minutes or until browned. Set aside.
In same skillet, cook pancetta for 3 to 5 minutes or until starting to brown around edges. Stir in butter, onion, celery, carrot, rosemary, salt and pepper; cook for 3 to 5 minutes or until vegetables are slightly softened. Stir in half of the basil.
Stir in tomatoes and reserved beef; bring to boil. Reduce heat to medium-low; simmer for 15 to 20 minutes or until slightly thickened.
Spread 1/4 cup (60 mL) sauce in bottom of 13- x 9-inch (3.5 L) baking dish. Top with 3 lasagne noodles, one-quarter of the remaining sauce, 1/2 cup (125 mL) mozzarella cheese, half of the ricotta and 1/4 cup (60 mL) of Parmesan cheese. Repeat layers. Top with remaining lasagne noodles, sauce, mozzarella and Parmesan cheese.
Cover with foil; bake for 30 minutes. Uncover; bake for 15 to 20 minutes or until golden brown and bubbly. Let stand for 10 minutes. Sprinkle with remaining basil.
• Arrange the first layer of lasagne noodles in the pan, lengthwise. Arrange the second layer of noodles, crosswise, trimming to fit, if needed. Repeat layering noodles in this fashion for a nicely structured lasagne that is easy to cut and serve.
• For a vegetarian option, substitute plant-based ground round for ground beef.
- Catelli® Classic Lasagne Noodles 12
- Olive oil 2 tbsp (30 mL)
- Lean ground beef 1 lb (500 g)
- Diced pancetta diced pancetta
- Butter 2 tbsp (30 mL)
- Onion, diced 1
- Stalk celery, diced 1
- Carrot, diced 1
- Finely chopped fresh rosemary leaves carrot, diced
- Each salt and pepper 1/2 tsp (2 mL)
- Thinly sliced fresh basil, divided 1/4 cup (60 mL)
- Diced tomatoes thinly sliced fresh basil, divided
- Shredded mozzarella cheese 2 cups (500 mL)
- Ricotta cheese, drained 1 tub (500 g)
- Grated Parmesan cheese 1 cup (250 mL)