- 1 pkg (500 g) Catelli® Classic Macaroni
- 4 cups (1 L) Small broccoli florets
- 6 Slices bacon, chopped
- 3 tbsp (45 mL) Butter
- 1 Onion, diced
- 2 Cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) All-purpose flour
- 4 cups (1 L) 3.25% whole milk
- 3 tbsp (45 mL) Finely chopped canned chipotles in adobo
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) Each salt and pepper
- 2 1/2 cups (625 mL) Shredded aged Cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) Grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) Bread crumbs
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) Olive oil
Preheat oven to 400˚F (200˚C). Cook pasta according to package directions, adding broccoli during the last 3 minutes of cooking. Drain, reserving 1/2 cup (125 mL) cooking liquid.
Meanwhile, cook bacon in large high-sided skillet set over medium heat for 4 to 6 minutes or until golden brown and crispy. Transfer to paper towel to drain.
Remove all but 1 tbsp (15 mL) bacon fat from pan. Stir in butter, onion and garlic; cook for 3 to 5 minutes or until tender. Sprinkle flour over top; cook, stirring, for 2 to 3 minutes or until smooth.
Slowly whisk in milk; bring to boil, whisking constantly. Reduce heat to medium-low; cook, stirring constantly, for 8 to 10 minutes or until thickened slightly. Stir in chipotles, salt and pepper. Remove from heat.
Stir in Cheddar cheese until melted. Stir in reserved pasta and cooking liquid until well coated; stir in bacon. Transfer to greased 13- x 9-inch (3.5 L) baking dish.
Stir together bread crumbs, Parmesan cheese and olive oil. Sprinkle over casserole; bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until golden brown and bubbly. Let stand for 10 minutes.
• Garnish with a sprinkle of parsley or cilantro.
• Substitute cauliflower for broccoli if preferred.