Cook orzo according to package directions, adding peas in the last minute of cooking; drain, reserving 1/3 cup (75 mL) cooking liquid.
Meanwhile, in large skillet set over medium heat, cook bacon for 3 to 5 minutes or until crispy at edges. Using slotted spoon, transfer to paper towel–lined plate. Drain all but 1 tbsp (15 mL) fat in skillet.
Add fennel to skillet; cook for about 3 minutes or just until tender. Remove from pan; set aside. Add olive oil to skillet. Stir in mushrooms, onion, garlic and thyme; cook for about 5 minutes or until mushrooms are slightly softened.
Stir in reserved fennel, chili pepper, sun-dried tomatoes, salt and pepper; cook for 3 to 5 minutes or until mushrooms start to brown.
Add pasta, cooking liquid, peas, lemon juice and zest to skillet; cook for 2 to 3 minutes or until pasta is well coated. Stir in half of the Parmesan, and chives. Sprinkle reserved bacon and remaining Parmesan over top.
- 1 pkg (454 g)Catelli® Orzo Pasta
- frozen peas, thawed 1 cup (250 mL)
- slices bacon, chopped 6
- olive oil 1/4 cup (60 mL)
- sliced mushrooms 8 oz (250 g)
- onion, chopped 1
- cloves garlic, minced 5
- finely chopped fresh thyme 1 tbsp (15 mL)
- chili pepper, chopped 5
- cloves garlic, minced 1
- julienned sun-dried tomatoes 1/4 cup (60 mL)
- each salt and pepper 1/2 tsp (2 mL)
- lemon juice 2 tbsp (30 mL)
- grated Parmesan cheese 1 tsp (5 mL)
- finely chopped chives 2 tbsp (30 mL)