- 1 pkg. (375 g) Catelli Whole Wheat Penne Rigate
- 1 cup (250 mL) Â fresh chorizo sausage meat, crumbled
- 1 head rapini, rinsed and roughly chopped into one inch pieces
- 2 cups (500 mL) cooked or canned (rinsed) white beans
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) medium-hot red chilies, seeds removed and sliced
- 11/2 lemons, zest and juiced
- 2 cloves chopped garlic
- 1/2 finely diced red onion
- 1 cup (250 mL) roughly chopped Italian parsley leaves
- 1 cup (250 mL) diced fontina cheese
- 3 tbsp (45 mL) olive oil
- Fresh cracked pepper and olive oil to taste
- Salt for pasta water
Cook pasta according to package directions.
Meanwhile, warm a large straight sided pan over medium heat. Add olive oil, garlic and onions and stir for 3 minutes or until translucent; add sausage and lightly brown for 1 minute; mix in rapini, white beans and chilies. Sauté, stirring for 3 minutes until rapini is softened.
With a small ladle, transfer 1/4 cup pasta water to saucepan to further soften rapini.
Strain cooked pasta and transfer it into the pan with the sausage and rapini mixture. Add chopped parsley, lemon zest and juice, a few twists of fresh cracked pepper and another generous splash of olive oil. Mix in fontina cheese at the last minute. Give mixture one last stir and serve immediately.