- 1 pkg (500 g) Catelli® Classic Rotini
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) Olive oil
- 3 Small eggplants, diced (about 4 1/2 oz/125 g each)
- 1 Onion, diced
- 1 Red pepper, diced
- 1 Stalk celery, diced
- 2 Cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) Finely chopped fresh thyme
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) Each salt and pepper
- 2 Plum tomatoes, diced
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) Chopped pitted green olives
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) Raisins
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) Capers
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) Toasted pine nuts
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) Balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) Finely chopped fresh parsley
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) Grated Parmesan cheese
Cook pasta according to package directions
Meanwhile, heat oil in large skillet set over medium heat; cook, eggplants, onion, red pepper, celery, garlic, thyme, salt and pepper, stirring often, for 8 to 10 minutes or until eggplant is tender.
Stir in tomatoes, olives, raisins, capers, pine nuts and vinegar; cook for 4 to 5 minutes or until heated through. Stir in parsley.
Toss pasta with caponata until well coated. Serve with Parmesan.
Tip: Smaller eggplants have less seeds so they are less bitter. If using a large eggplant, chop it, toss with salt and let stand in colander for 15 to 20 minutes to draw out any moisture and lessen the bitterness.