Add 4 litres of water to a pot and 1 tbsp (15 mL) of salt to water. Bring to a boil.
Preheat oven to 400°F.
In a bowl, mix ground pork, ground beef, garlic powder, cumin, smoked paprika, black pepper and salt. With wet hands, make small meatballs about 1/2 inch in size. Place meatballs on a lightly oiled cookie sheet and roast in the oven for 5-7 minutes until cooked through. Once cooked, set aside.
While meatballs are roasting, start sauce. In a large pot or frying pan, heat olive oil over medium heat. Add sliced shallots and cook until tender and fragrant, about 2-3 minutes. Add whipping cream and nutmeg; bring to a simmer. Simmer for 5 minutes until cream starts to thicken. Add 375 mL of fontina cheese to cream and turn off heat.
Cook macaroni according to package directions. When there is 1 minute of cooking time left, add broccoli florets to pasta. Drain macaroni and broccoli well and add to sauce. Mix well.
Add cooked meatballs and stir well. Season pasta with salt and pepper.
Add pasta to a casserole or ovenproof dish.
Melt butter in a pan over medium heat. Once butter is melted, add breadcrumbs and stir well; cook for 30 seconds, stirring continuously. Remove from heat. Add buttery breadcrumbs into a bowl and add remaining fontina cheese. Mix well. Season with salt and pepper.
Sprinkle breadcrumb mixture over top of pasta and place in preheated oven on a high oven shelf.
Bake until pasta dish is hot and topping is golden brown, about 5-8 minutes.
- 1 pkg. (340 g)Catelli Smart Veggie™ Macaroni
- olive oil 1/4 cup (60 mL)
- shallots, peeled and sliced thinly 3/4 cup (180 mL)
- whipping cream 2 cups (500 mL)
- nutmeg, grated 1/2 tsp (3 mL)
- fontina cheese, grated 2 cups (500 mL)
- broccoli, cut into small florets 5 cups (1.25 L)
- butter 3 tbsp (45 mL)
- dried breadcrumbs 1 cup (250 mL)
- ground pork 8 oz (225g)
- ground beef 8 oz (225g)
- garlic powder 1/2 tsp (3 mL)
- ground cumin 1/2 tsp (3 mL)
- ground smoked paprika 1/2 tsp (3 mL)
- ground black pepper 1/2 tsp (3 mL)
- salt 1 tsp (6 mL)