Easy Penne e FagioliRemoving the broth and puréeing some of the beans and tomatoes to thickens the sauce, transforms this classic soup combination into a hearty weeknight skillet supper.
Heat oil in a large, deep skillet set over medium heat. Add pancetta, onion, carrot and celery. Sauté for 10 minutes or until vegetables are tender and pancetta is browned.
Stir in Italian seasoning, garlic, salt and pepper; cook for 1 minute.
Measure out 1 cup (250 mL) each of the tomatoes and beans and transfer to a blender; purée until smooth. Stir puréed mixture and remaining diced tomatoes and beans into the skillet. Simmer for 10 minutes.
Meanwhile, cook penne according to package directions. Add penne and kale to the skillet and toss to combine. Serve with Parmesan cheese (if using).
Per serving (1/6th recipe 1 2/3 cups/400 mL): 410 calories, 9 g fat, 2.5 g saturated fat, 850 mg sodium, 55 g carbohydrates, 10 g fibre, 8 g sugars, 22 g protein. Excellent source of vitamin C.
- 1 PKG (300G) CATELLI Smart Penne
- Olive oil 1 tsp (5 mL)
- Diced pancetta (about 4 oz/125 g) 1 cup (250 mL)
- Each onion, carrot and celery stalk, chopped 1
- Italian seasoning 1 tbsp (15 mL)
- Cloves garlic, minced 3
- Each salt and pepper 1/4 tsp (1 mL)
- Diced tomatoes 1 can (28 oz/796 mL)
- Mixed beans, drained and rinsed 1 can (19 oz/540 mL)
- Baby or shredded kale leaves 6 cups (1.5 L)
- Grated Parmesan cheese (optional)