|Tips||You can substitute 4 cups (1 L) regular eggplant or even zucchini or summer squash for the Asian eggplant.|
|Fresh mozzarella adds a creamy finish but you can also use regular or part-skim mozzarella cheese.|
|Draining the tomatoes allows for a quicker simmer on the sauce to achieve a thickened consistency. For a saucier dish, reserve a little of the liquid from the canned tomatoes and add (to taste)along with the hot cooked rotini.|
Heat olive oil in a large nonstick skillet set over medium heat. Add eggplant, bell pepper, onion, garlic, salt, pepper and hot pepper flakes (if using) to the skillet. Cook, stirring often, for about 8 minutes or until browned. Stir in tomatoes and balsamic vinegar; simmer for 10 minutes.
Meanwhile, prepare rotini according to package directions.
Add hot cooked rotini to skillet; toss to coat. Toss in basil just before serving. Garnish each bowl with mozzarella cubes.
- 1 PKG (300 G)CATELLIÂ® SuperGreensâ¢ Rotini
- olive oil 2 tbsp (30 mL)
- Asian eggplant, diced (about 4 cups/1 L) 2
- yellow or orange bell pepper, diced 1
- small onion, diced 1
- cloves garlic, finely chopped 4
- each salt and pepper 1/2 tsp (2 mL)
- hot pepper flakes (optional) 1/4 tsp (1 mL)
- drained, canned diced tomatoes 2 cups (500 mL)
- balsamic vinegar 2 tbsp (30 mL)
- chopped fresh basil 1 cup (250 mL)
- cubed fresh mozzarella 1 cup (250 mL)