|Tips||For a more complex sauce, replace 1/2 cup (125 mL) of the chicken broth with white wine.|
|Make a pasta 'al forno' by sprinkling the dish with Swiss cheese and broiling for 2 to 3 minutes or until bubbly.|
|For a meaty accent, brown 1 1/2 oz (45 g) diced pancetta along with the mushroom mixture.|
Hydrate dried mushrooms in hot broth for 20 minutes. Drain, reserving mushrooms and broth separately. Finely chop rehydrated mushrooms.
Cook penne according to package directions. Meanwhile, heat oil in a large, nonstick skillet set over medium heat. Add dried and fresh mushrooms, shallots, garlic, salt, thyme and pepper. Cook, stirring until browned and tender.
Stir reserved broth with balsamic and cornstarch until smooth; stir into skillet. Bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer until thickened. Add hot cooked penne and spinach, tossing until spinach is wilted. Serve immediately.
- 1 pkg (340 g) CATELLI® GLUTEN FREE PENNE
- Dried mixed wild mushrooms 1/2 oz (15 g)
- Hot, no added salt chicken or vegetable broth 2 cups (500 mL)
- olive oilO 1 tbsp (15 mL)
- Chopped mixed fresh mushrooms 4 cups (1 L)
- Shallots, finely chopped 3
- Cloves garlic, minced 3
- Salt 3/4 tsp (4 mL)
- Each dried thyme leaves and pepper 1/2 tsp (2 mL)
- Balsamic vinegar 3 tbsp (45 mL)
- Gluten free cornstarch 1 tbsp (15 mL)
- Baby spinach 5 cups (1.25 L)