|Tips||To prepare the braise in a slow cooker, add the end of step 2, transfer all the ingredients to a slow cooker. Cook on high for 2 to 2 1/2 hours or on low for 4 to 5 hours. Stir 2 tbsp (30 mL) gluten free cornstarch with an equal amount of beef broth; stir into the slow cooker. Simmer on high for 15 minutes or until thickened. (Because a slow cooker doesn't reduce the fluids, you'll need to thicken the sauce.)|
|Recipe doubles easily.|
|Replace the flank steak with trimmed, cubed stewing beef.|
|Add even more flavour by replacing 1/2 cup (125 mL) of the broth with red wine.|
Cut steak into bite-sized pieces; season with salt and pepper. Heat oil in a large, nonstick skillet set over medium-high heat. Brown steak all over. Transfer to a bowl. Reduce heat to medium.
Add bacon (if using), onion, carrot, celery, garlic and rosemary to skillet; sauté for 6 minutes or until softened and starting to brown. Stir in the tomato paste, cook, stirring for 1 minute. Add steak, broth and tomatoes.
Simmer, covered, for 1 hour. Uncover and simmer for 30 minutes or until steak is tender and sauce is reduced.
Meanwhile, cook spaghetti according to package directions. Stir parsley into sauce and serve over hot spaghetti with Parmesan cheese (if using).
- 1 pkg (340 g) CATELLI® GLUTEN FREE SPAGHETTI
- flank steak, cubed 1 lb (500 g)
- each salt and pepper 1/4 tsp (1 mL)
- olive oil 1 tbsp (15 mL)
- slices bacon, chopped (optional) 2
- onion, carrot and celery stalk, finely chopped 1 each
- cloves garlic, minced 4
- chopped fresh rosemary leaves 2 tsp (10 mL)
- tomato paste 1/4 cup (50 mL)
- sodium-reduced beef broth 1 3/4 cups (425 mL)
- diced tomatoes, drained well 1 can (14 oz/398 mL)
- chopped fresh parsley or basil leaves 1/4 cup (50 mL)
- Shredded Parmesan cheese (optional)