Cook pasta according to package directions; drain well.
Meanwhile, heat oil in large high-sided skillet set over medium heat; cook chicken for 3 to 5 minutes or until slightly browned. Stir in sausage, onion, celery, red pepper, garlic, thyme and Cajun seasoning; cook for 3 to 5 minutes or until vegetables are slightly softened.
Stir in tomato paste; cook for 1 minute. Stir in diced tomatoes; bring to boil. Reduce heat to medium; cook for 10 to 15 minutes or until chicken is cooked through and sauce is slightly thickened.
Add pasta and parsley to skillet; toss until well coated.
• For a classic jambalaya, use andouille sausage. Both a cured chorizo sausage or a Polish-style sausage also work well.
• Add a splash of dry white wine to the sauce if desired.
- Catelli® Classic Penne Rigate 1 pkg (500 g)
- Olive oil 2 tbsp (30 mL)
- Boneless, skinless chicken breasts, thinly sliced 12 oz (375 g)
- Spicy smoked sausage, sliced 8 oz (250 g)
- Onion, diced 1
- Stalk celery, diced 1
- Red pepper, diced 1
- Cloves garlic, minced 2
- Finely chopped fresh thyme 2 tbsp (30 mL)
- Cajun seasoning 1 tbsp (15 mL)
- Tomato paste 1/4 cup (60 mL)
- Diced tomatoes 1 can (796 mL)
- Finely chopped fresh parsley 2 tbsp (30 mL)