- 1 pkg (375 g) Catelli Smart® Spaghetti
- 1 Onion
- 3 Garlic cloves
- 1 can (28 oz/796 mL) Whole tomatoes
- 3 tbsp (45 mL) Olive oil
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) Finely chopped basil
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) each Salt and freshly ground pepper (approx.)
Cook spaghetti according to package directions. Meanwhile, pulse onion and garlic in food processor until very finely chopped; remove and reserve. Pulse the tomatoes in the same food processor until smooth.
Heat oil in a large, non-stick skillet set over medium heat. Add onion and garlic; cook for 5 minutes or until softened. Add tomatoes. Bring to a boil and simmer for 8 minutes or until heated though. Stir in basil; season with salt and pepper (adjust to taste). Serve over spaghetti.
Using a food processor to prepare the vegetables allows them to cook faster and saves preparation time. If you don’t have a food processor, grate the onion and garlic on a box grater.
– Add additional lean protein by stirring 500 mL (2 cups) cooked, chicken breast strips, sliced steak or cooked large shrimp into the sauce to heat through.
– Customize this basic sauce to your family’s taste by adding your choice of finely chopped fresh herbs or vegetables.
– Make a speedy meat sauce by browning 500 g (1 lb) lean ground beef, veal, chicken or turkey with the onions and garlic.