Heat the oil in a large pot or Dutch oven set over medium heat. Add the beef; cook for 5 minutes or until browned.
Stir in the oregano, basil, salt, onion and mushrooms (if using). Cook, stirring occasionally for 5 minutes or until onion and mushrooms are tender.
Stir in the dry macaroni, diced tomatoes, tomato sauce and milk. Bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to medium low and cover. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 10 to 15 minutes or until the pasta is tender.
Stir in the cheese until just melted. Serve immediately.
This pasta easily serves a crowd. If cooking for a smaller family, the leftover pasta can be frozen and reheated in the microwave for another meal.
- ¾ pkg (375 g) Catelli® Macaroni
- Vegetable oil 2 tsp (10 mL)
- Lean ground beef 1 lb (500 g)
- Dried oregano leaves 2 tsp (10 mL)
- Dried basil leaves and salt 1 tsp (5 mL) each
- Chopped onion 1
- Canned diced tomatoes with juices 1 can (796 mL)
- Plain tomato sauce or strained tomatoes 2 3/4 cups (675 mL)
- Milk 2 cups (500 mL)
- Cubed, partly skimmed Mozzarella cheese 1 1/2 cups (375 mL)
- Sliced mushrooms (optional) 2 cups (500 mL)