- 12 Catelli Express Lasagne Noodles
- 1 1/2 lb (750 g) Lean ground beef
- 1 Onion, finely chopped
- 2 Cloves garlic, minced
- 2 cups (500 mL) Crushed tomatoes or passata
- 1 1/2 cups (375 mL) Sodium-reduced beef broth or water
- 1 cup (250 mL) Ketchup
- 2 tsp (10 mL) Each chili powder and Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) Each salt and pepper
- 1 cup (250 mL) Finely chopped green pepper
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) Finely chopped green onion
- 3 cups (750 mL) Shredded cheddar cheese
Brown beef with onion and garlic in a large, deep skillet set over medium heat. Stir in tomatoes, broth, ketchup, chili powder, Worcestershire sauce, salt and pepper. Simmer for 10 minutes. Meanwhile, toss green pepper and onion together; set aside.
Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C). Spread 1/2 cup (125 mL) sauce in 13 x 9-inch (3 L) baking dish. Top with 3 uncooked noodles and 1/4 each sauce, cheese and green pepper mixture. Repeat layers three times.
Bake, covered, for 40 minutes. Uncover and bake for 10 minutes or until cheese is bubbly. Let stand 10 minutes before slicing.
Substitute ground chicken or ground turkey for the beef.
To spice up the sauce, replace the ketchup with prepared salsa.